Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Saint in Texas

It's definitely been a while since I blogged. Probably has to do with the big move from San Diego to Austin. Now that I have relocated and got my bearings I have to say it's been a big adjustment living under the Star.

Not only is everything big around here, but so is there understanding of what makes the world go around. Sports to me has a unique quality that meshes us all together.

This past week was a great one to be a Saint. That is a Saints fan. Throughout my tumultulous time being a Saints fan, there have been exactly three moments that made me proud to be a Saints fan.

Number 1. Az Hakim drops the ball during a 4th quarter punt in 2001 wild card playoff win against the defending NFL champs St. Louis Rams. Saints win first ever playoff victory.

Number 2. 1987 season, the first winning season in franchise history. I can't really recall any game that made an impact, but I do remember them finally beating the 49ers with Bill Walsh to win the NFC West division.

Number 3. 2006 NFL Draft. With the second pick in the NFL draft the New Orleans Saints select Reggie Bush. Not only does this dwarf the Ricky draft, but it brings so much hope to a beleagured franchise. I will no longer be upset when the Saints lose by 20 because it means I get to see Reggie on the field. I am not prophetic by any sense, but this is going to be good for the Saints.


Amongst all the Cowboy and Texan talk going around this town, I have to hold steady and fast to my once maligned franchise and be the Saint when it comes to football.

1 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

Hate to nitpick you, amigo, but on #2 (which would be my #2 as well), we did not win the NFC West that year. We finished 12-3, the 2nd best record in the NFL to Walsh's 13-2 49ers. However, we did supply one of the 49ers 2 losses (the most memorable game of the season - when I finally realized that this team was really good). Sadly, we lost the wild card playoff game to the 8-7 Vikings (who then went on to beat the 49ers as well before losing to the Super Bowl champ Skins). That's the real reason I remember we didn't win the division - losing the wild card game to the mediocre Vikes, a team I was certain we'd kill, was one of my lowest moments as a Saints fan - to see such a special season end so abruptly (we lost something like 44 or 45 to 10,too).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home