Monday, January 23, 2006

Change of address is needed

Many people ask me, "What's it like living in San Diego?" I guess the best way to describe it is to say that it's kind of like the feeling you get when your vacations almost over. You really don't want to think about going back to work, but you end up thinking about it once or twice and it just depresses the crap out of ya'. When I drive to and from work I really can't imagine me living my life out here in San Diego. It just doesn't seem right. Then again when you have a Cat 4 or 3 or whatever hurricane mess up your life nothing seems right anymore.

The best way I think about is that it's almost like a bonus sick day or extended vacation. I really don't deserve it because there are plenty others that do, but hell if I am gonna let this opportunity pass me by. I mean how many times in a person life can they make note of the fact they've lived in so many places. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to do so much traveling in my life. When school was nearing an end for me I figured that the world was my oyster the problem was I wasn't that good at shucking. So I bounced from here to there, then back to here again followed by another there. Easy Rider himself, Henry Fonda, can't hold a lick to the amount of road I've covered since high school.

Not to sound prophetic or to rationalize my stay in San Diego though life is all about the many obstacles with constant changes in the direction of the paths we choose. San Diego isn't home. It may never be home, still I can't complain about the change in scenery. It has provided me with a new outlook on life. The beach is awesome. Jamba Juice is the best thing since Smoothie came out with the Muscle Punch. Traffic isn't that bad, I hear horror stories about New Orleans. My commute is 18 miles in about 20 minutes. Not too mention the weather is quite pleasant by winter standards. I felt a drizzle the other day, but I think the neighbors may have left their sprinklers on a bit too long. In-n-Out are hands down the best burgers on the planet. Plus there are more microbreweries in San Diego than Louisiana had in the whole state. I am proud to tell people that I am a New Orleanian. I am also proud to tell people that I live in San Diego. Now if only I could figure out how to get the guy down the street to carpool with me to work. Then everything would be grand. Beunos notches.

4 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

Perhaps I'm just getting used to it, but traffic doesn't seem as bad now. It's still best to avoid streets like Clearview as much as possible (granted, this was true before the storm, too). The real horror stories are people trying to find a place to rent.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

You lucky bastard! Movie Guys are being too modest. The traffic sucks! Yesterday I dreamed I was the guy in America's Scariest Police Chases with the tank driving down the highway. I just want to run over cars and scream, "MOVE!!!!!!"

I'm heading out the door on February 1st. Got a handful of cities in the southeast in mind. First stop, "The Ham."

also, i need hints for the lady's bday present.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger bayou_boy504 said...

What's a hurricane? The next time one comes, try flipping it off like Dennis Hopper in the movie you mentioned, Easy Rider.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger dillyberto said...

Traffic?

I have so looked forward to the traffic.

I hated driving home with nobody going to Orleans Parish in the evening.

I had really begun to enjoy the traffic, until yesterday on River Road near Ochsner I was behind a truck and a ladder fell off and almost caused me to wreck and be rear-ended at the same time!

Life is different now, that's fo sure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home