Saturday, January 14, 2006

WWOZ is on the computer...

"Take me back to New Orleans, and drop me at my door. Because I might love you yeah, but I love me more." - Cowboy Mouth

Yeah, I know it's been a while. And for the few people who check to see my post, thanks for coming back. What's new? Well, a new job I start about a month ago at a local art institute. While trying to see how I could build comparments below my cubicle in order to take naps during the day, and finding the coolest online radio websites to play music while I day dream at Tetris things couldn't be better.

I am still living with family members, when I come to think about it...sucks. But there are lots of advantages. Such as the rent check is very minimal. I think if I was stil back home I would be living with relatives because last I heard they are still trying to figure things out back home.

I miss home. I miss my po-boys from Radosta. My sausage link from Nor-Jo's. My crawfish burrito from Kokopelli's. My Wednesday night 2 dollar pint night at the Bulldog. My Drago's chargrilled ersters. My Abita with my brothers. My 3 beer Thursday with my Pops. My wasted time at Wal-Mart. My late night runs to Morning Call. My mid-day runs to City Park. My King cakes from Randazzo's. My Douberge cake from Gambino's. My pralines from Ms. Pam. (Two of those could put you in an epelectic seizure) My afternoon jogs along the lakefront. My Saturday night late night listen to WWOZ. The list goes on.

As if "normalcy" could mean enough to me now, all I really want is my way of life back. Now it has been upended into a spiralling confused world of ridiculous housing costs mixed with a dash of uncertainity of family closeness. When people ask me about my hometown I never talk in the past tense. It still my home, always will be. The problem I have relating to people is the mess that is New Orleans. Between the politically backlashing, finger pointing, lay offs, and housing boom on the northshore lies what most people around the see and hear on the news. Life goes on. Like it does in many places with little thought or repercussion as to what goes on in my hometown. That's what hurts most. As I look forward everyday my life is similar to that of New Orleans, a challenge unmistakenly filled with hope and perservance, but also a hint of uncertainity as to whether I will make this new town my home or travel elsewhere to start over. Life. It presents us with the challenges and decisions that some view as unfair and some righetous. I look forward to the day I can reclaim my hometown. I dream of it every second and everyday like I used to look forward to the next crawfish boil.

3 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

It's so strange that you and I posted about New Orleans within 24 hours of each other on our blogs.

Oh, and you missed it last night. I watched the Pats game at the pub with Chris and a guy wearing a Eddie Corcoran for Councilman tshirt.

It was all so surreal.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger bayou_boy504 said...

Like the Beatles said, "Ob La De, Ob La Da, Life goes on bra. La la how the life goes on."

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

I had that feeling when I was in Austin. I wanted to run up to people, shake them violently by the shoulders and scream, "HOW CAN YOU BE GOING ABOUT YOUR LIVES AS NORMAL?????"

And thanks, Bayou Boy, for getting my least favorite Beatles song stuck in my head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home