Monday, September 11, 2006

A win is a win.

Who would've thunk it? 1-0!!! We already have a third of the victories we totalled from last year. The wife and I went to a local saloon here in Austin that had an advertisment about being the official headquarters for the Saints. I was pleasantly surprised by how many fans there are living here in Austin. Much less that there are people who actually root for the Saints outside of New Orleans. The world has gone mad. It seemed like there were about 45 fans packed into this tiny bar with McAllister, Bush, Brees and even a Morten Anderson jerseys. It was like being at an Arabi crawfish boil. Wow what fanatics. There were loud screams and hollars everytime Reggie touched the ball.

I have to admit I was more thoroughly impressed by the aggressiveness of our defense. It seemed like we were swarm tackling, chasing French Frye all around, and stuffing the Browns on consecutive 3rd and 1's. I loved it. I even started the Who Dat chant after Colston caught our first touchdown of the season. He's a surprise to everyone, and don't tell me you knew he was going to be the real deal. This isn't Alex Molden or Vaughn Dunbar. Seventh round!!!

What was even better is that we sat with a group of guys from New Orleans, two of them recently moved here and were previously living in Lakeview. He kept saying to me. It's going to be a whole lot better living here in Austin. I looked at him and said, "Nothing will ever better New Orleans, but I can take living in Austin as a close second." We shared stories about the storm, the rebuilding, the Saints, Vince Marinello, and lastly LSU football.

Things I worry about going into Game Two:
1. Fullback position - No one knows who will be back there blocking for Duece and Reggie. Right now it'll look like Conwell will line up back there on certain packages. Not too promising, but I expect Payton to have a game plan ready.
2. Defense returns - Yeah it's great to shut down the Browns, but the Packers will be ready for us with Ahman Green and Donald Driver. Not too mention Favre will have a chip on his shoulder wanting to prove to everyone they can play. Let's just say we need the defense to show they same aggressivenes they showed the Browns.
3. Say it ain't so Joe - Where was Joe Horn? We need him to make those catches and be the mouth of our offense out there on the field. On the goal line we should have thrown it to him atleast once. I like Devery, but Horn is a prove All-Pro.
4. Red Zone - We need to punch the ball in the endzone a little bit more. I like to win, but it's more comforting when we get the ball in the endzone and cruise to victory. No offense to Payton but the play calling down on the goal line needs to get better.
5. Duece is loose - No ill affects from last year's game when Duece got hurt. I wanna see Duece smashing it up the gut and tearing apart there defense. It was great to see the exchange between Duece and Reggie, just want to see a little more of Duece this week to reaffirm that he's back.

More coming on Friday. Like our chances against the Packers. And like I told my brothers, we are only going to get better.

2 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who would've thunk it? 1-0!!! We already have a third of the victories we totalled from last year. The wife and I went to a local saloon here in Austin that had an advertisment about being the official headquarters for the Saints. I was pleasantly surprised by how many fans there are living here in Austin. It seemed like there were about 45 fans packed into this tiny bar with McAllister, Bush, Brees and even a Morten Anderson jerseys. Wow what fanatics. There were loud screams and hollars everytime Reggie touched the ball.

Although I have to admit I was more thoroughly impressed by the aggressiveness of our defense. It seemed like we were swarm tackling, chasing French Frye all around, and stuffing the Browns on consecutive 3rd and 1's. I loved it. I even started the Who Dat chant after Colston caught our first touchdown of the season.

What was even better is we sat with a group of guys from New Orleans, two of them recently moved here and were previously living in Lakeview. He kept saying to me. It's going to be a whole lot better living here in Austin. I looked at him and said, "Nothing will ever better New Orleans, but I can take living in Austin as a close second." We shared stories about the storm, the rebuilding, the Saints, Vince Marinello, and lastly LSU football.he Saints, Vince Marinello, and lastly LSU football.

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Favre sucks now, he's washed up...the only people who think otherwise are the football announcers who all have man crushes on him. If he has a chip on his shoulder, great - that means he'll try to do too much and force the ball into triple coverage even more than he usually does.

The red zone offense will take care of itself once we actually have fullbacks on the field...I think that was the root of our not converting more TD's against CLE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home