Monday, August 07, 2006

The Weekend's Over? No Way.

Today just seemed so bleak since the weekend is over. It's seem to go by in a flash like Reggie Bush high-stepping his way into the endzone. Notice the football reference. I can't wait any longer, please let's start the season now. Since it's summertime the wife usually has me all weekend due to the lack of sports invading our house this time of year. Soon enough that will change.

This past weekend we took the dog down to the Town lake for a walk around the park and to frolic in the Barton Creek Springs. It's Saturday morning and unlike most metropolitan cities the park is alive with the sounds of beating footprints into the ground by hundreds of runners/walkers. I've never lived in a city like this. Most Saturday mornings in other cities are like a nuclear holocaust happened the night before, with a few cars and people on the streets checking out who is still alive after last night. Not here. People go to the town lake as early as 6am. THIS IS SATURDAY MORNING, I must remind you. The wife and I have found it a great occasion to get down to the lake early to beat the heat and traffic. Early for us is 7am. It gets packed down their on the weekends with family picnics, softball games, soccer tournaments, and the occasional festival.

I would say that the thing I love most is running around the lake with nature comforting my every step with quietness and calamity. But not this weekend. There are ladies jogging four across taking up the entire jogging path. Dads pushing their suped-up strollers with 12" rims at break neck speed. Plus the occasional walkers with the wireless headphones talking to God only knows at this time in the morning. Maybe someone walking 10 feet ahead of them. Dogs chasing dogs. Dogs chasing their owners. Then there are the runners/joggers. It's quite comical sometimes to just watch people go by. Laugh at their running styles or their outfits.

Most of all we go to get some excercise, relax our minds away from everything else that goes on in our daily lives, and most of all let the dog play in the water. I really thought that our dog, Hero, would never swim because he has such a disaffection for baths. So the first time we went to the Barton Creek Springs, which stays 65 degrees year round (one of the highlights of Austin), I felt Hero wouldn't budge himself out into the creek. Maybe if he saw another dog he would take off. Nope. He stood at the very edge of the creek with an expression on his face like a kid who is afraid of the water. Being a man of intrigue I decided to take this to the next level by walking to the other side of the creek and call out Hero's name. When I did this he looked over at me in utter amazement as to think how the heck did you get over there. It took a few seconds before he bounded like a puppy into the creek and swam frerociously towards me. Upon reaching my side he looked as bewildered as me. How did I just do that? He must have thought to himself over and over again. Then without thinking he went swimming right back across to my wife. I've never felt more proud of Hero. All in all he taught me something new to. This is what makes your weekend so great having moments like this to carry them over throughout the rest week.

1 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

I guess he was just testing his sea legs. That dog is a born swimmer! I see movie deals in his future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home