Thursday, September 21, 2006

First day as a waiter

Been living in Austin for over a couple of months now and hand't landed a job yet. So I went up to the local neighborhood bar and grill and put in an application. Little did I know that 3 weeks later I would get a call to come in for an interview. 2 days later I was starting my first day on the job of being a waiter at a local bar and grill.

I am not going to go into many details about the restaurant because it really has no baring on my stories. So my first day and I was what they classify in the waiter worl as "in the weeds." Not that I needed that pointed out time and time again. Still I was trying to pick up everything on the menu, learn the tables, and more important learn the POS system. I was there for only 4 hours and then got cut before happy hour started.

What I've noticed about the job is how people act when they get out of the work environment or home environment. It's like a free for all caluous behavior. The job I have is one that requires a lot of focus and attention to detail, but it all thrives around making people feel like kings and queens. I have a new found respect for people who wait tables and manage restaurants because you are not only dealing with hundreds of ballyhooing customers, but some of the oddest people in the world who work in the place. The moment I was introduced to the other waitstaff they were sizing me up like a piece of meat. I could see the questions swirling around there heads.
"Will he steal my tables? I betcha he's some freaking loafer? Why can't we get more competent people to work for us?"

That was my first day on the job. Get to go back for more today as I start off in the kitchen as an expo. Needless to say I have to take a quiz on the menu before I start. Looking forward to that like I cleaning the bathrooms after closing.

1 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

good luck bro. i did a sidejob this weekend at reginelli's hanging a panel cover that i made at work. it sounds crazy to say it, but i kinda miss the chaos that was waiting tables. i met a lot of crazyass people and learned that your pace is always your own pace. never waver because some customer is bitchin'.

Rule #1 of the restaurant business: Don't mess with people who handle your food.

words to live by...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home