Monday, June 05, 2006

As luck would have it....

The Red Sox's need pitching. I am changing my middle name to "Middle Relief" because that is what's been on my mind since watching the Red Sox slowly implode. There is just something about this year's Red Sox team that befuddles me. They haven't quite put it all together. The starting rotation is about as iffy as a Paris Hilton STD. Still they keep trying to make believers out of me and the rest of the blindful Nation. If only we could blame it on the damn curse instead I have to rely on the fact that it's all because so many people cash in their checks two years ago when we won it all. Every lucky penny, rabbits foot, indian feather, magic stone, wishing well, birthday candle wish, and any other faceless acts of luckitude that we used up that year has now come back to haunt us. It's like Dr. John would say, "Da Mojo lady put dem' gris gris on us."

As if it would be a bigger slap in the face to see Benedict Arnold himself playing for the Yankees in centerfield, than it would serve us right to trade away a decent pitcher for a Willy Mo that has the "potential" to become the next Manny. Give me break. Yinka Dare had potential, so did Brain Rose, and Jonathan Sullivan, and Marcus Dupree, and Troy O'leary. Just give me something that is proven, someone who will get the job done. It's only a matter of time and loses before the Sox starting pulling up there next group of potentials: Jon Lecester (who will pitch Saturday) and Craig Hansen to get some big league experience. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't trade anything for that 2004 World Series, but I would like to get rid of some more of my lucky underware for a chance to go back to the Series.

1 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

Just to debate you on your thing about not acquiring guys with "potential" - Yes, all the names you mention are bad cases of such guy. But, as a Red Sox fan, you should be acutely aware that when they signed David Ortiz, he was just a "guy with potential" who had shown some flashes with the Twins, but was injury prone and gave no indication that he would turn into the clutch behemoth he has become. So, there is sometimes benefit in taking risks on promising, but unproven players. And I think Arroyo's seriously benefitting from pitching to weaker Natl. League lineups.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home