Saturday, November 26, 2005

Six bucks and my right nut says we're not landing in Chicago.

Del: You play with your balls alot.
Neal: Oh really?
Del: Yeah, you do more ballhandling in one minute than Larry Bird does in an hour. Neal: You know what I'd really like?
Del: A couple of more hands and an extra set of balls?
- Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

I remember when I first saw this movie. It was an instant classic, like Bad Santa during Christmas. It especailly comes to mind around this time of year right before we gorge ourselves into a eating frenzy for one day.

When I think of that fateful day when the pilgrims said let's eat turkey with our friends the Indians. Then after the wine and triptophan kicked in the Pilgrims made a deal to buy some land from the indians for three shiny rocks, a barrel of whiskey, and a place called the western frontier.

This Thanksgiving I spent with my in-laws in Phoenix. It's not the same whenever you spend the holidays at any other place than where you usually spend it. Still, I try to make the most of the Turkey day by frying a turkey for the family. I tried to go back to my traditional turkey day roots by running a race Thanksgiving morning. I know that many of you are saying, "What are you mad?" Still, it something that I did when I was younger in the city of New Orleans, and I wanted to continue it. It helps build the appetite for later, plus I like to relate myself to Lucius Jackson running around a prison yard with Dragline running next to him trying to stretch that belly out. As I ran the race, I kept thinking, "I gotta stretch that little old belly out."

One of my other traditions is the fateful respite of watching Planes,Tranes, and Automobiles while the turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes assemble in my stomache for a pep rally. I started watching Planes, Trains, and Automobiles in college with a buddy of mine. It was our Turkey day movie. Not this year. It was pushed off due to a late dinner, and plenty to clean up. Still it was a good Thanksgiving. I ran a good race, ate a lot of turkey, cleaned up, and finished the day with pumpkin pie. It's not always the same as back home, but then again nothing ever is. It's all what you make of the day to be thankful for everything you have.

1 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

it's inevitable, you have to watch this movie. it's like watching back to the future on the weekends.

you must.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home