Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I am going to need two professional references for this position?

Making money, making money, making money.

Everyone is obsessed with making money that they forget about living life. Tasting the stark bit of reality that can sometimes be bittersweet. Everyone needs to relax. Take it easy for a while. Do like Europeans and take a month off from work.

I went on a forgettful job interview the other day. It was so bad, I almost walked right out during the damn thing. The company which will I will not name for libel purposes was trying to work some form of the old pyramid scam. It seems that in our present day instead of having Amway we have these stupid ass marketing/sales companies popping up offering ridiculous salaries and visions of happy workplaces.

The first thing I have to say is that when you show up for an interview, and the office your interviewing is a small 2 cublice room without a window, that's a sign of things to come. As I sat waiting for the woman who was to interview me get off the phone, there was a receptionist talking on the phone to a friend. Behind the receptionist was a small portable stereo. Now I know being a receptionist is hard work so we need some music to relax ourselves. This girl was listening to Jayz. It was not at a normal level either, it was at ear screaching decibels. I struggled to even comprehend thoughts while the music was playing. Soon the woman got off the phone and introduced herself. We exchange the normal bullcrap pleasantries. Glad to meet ya... Yada...Yada...Yada. Then the rhetorical questions starting flying.... "How do you fit this position? What are your strengths? Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?" I decided to make this worthwhile. So I politely answered the questions as best as I could and waited for those famous words to come rolling off her tongue. "Do you have any questions for me?" You bet your sweet fanny I do.

My Question: First off, what is the salary? Answer: It depends. Question: On what? Answer: On the job you do.
My Question: Whats the work schedule? Answer: Anything you want it to be, but I feel the more you put in the more you get out.
My Question: What are the benefits? Answer: You don't receive benefits until you make upper level management.
My Question: Why the heck should I work for a company that you can't explain, doesn't have any benefits, has a ridiculous work schedule, and for all I know could be a satanist cult that hires people in order to run this same scam on another person. Answer: This is a great company. I've worked here for 2 years.
My Question: How long did it take to brainwash your monkey ass? Answer: Not long just until the probation period ended.
My Question: Can you just pay me, and I not show up? Answer: Nah, that's not in our company handbook.
Jeez, it should be the damn mission statement.

Well that's all the questions I have for you. She then turns to me with a dedicated look on her face as if she was counting on me to not say no to the next question. "Would you be willing to come in for a day and work with us to see if you like the job and we like you?"

My first thought was "For free? " Then what eeked out was, "Nah, I can't miss out watching the Tyra Banks show. Although let me know when if you change your policy about not showing up for work and getting paid?" She smiles, shakes my hand, and says she will get in contact with me about the position.

It's been a week and she hasn't called back. Starting to wonder if she would ever call. Then again maybe I am working for them and I don't even know it. Crazy damn Amway people.

3 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger bayou_boy504 said...

When she asked what your qualifications were, you should have busted into Jay-Z's

"I dropped the Black Album
then I backed out as the best rapper ALIVE!"

Then you could have at least gotten a date with the recetionist out of the deal.

You description of the place makes WalMart look pretty good!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

Tyra Banks is hot, but I still don't get how being a supermodel makes you solve other people's problems. Guess that's UPN for ya.

You should work for FEMA. Talked to a firefighter from Houston last night who is making 36 an hour and 46 an hour overtime. He bought drinks the whole night at Kingpin because he just cashed a $6,000 work check for 2 weeks worth of work.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

The very first job interview I had after I got my master's degree went almost exactly like the one you just described. It took every ounce of restrain not to say, "This is a pyramid scam." Ah...memories.

The New Orleans Burger Kings beckon you with the allure of their $6000 signing bonuses....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home