Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Thanks for nothing!!!

I'm not talking about it anymore. It's over. Her and I don't even notice each other anymore. When someone mentions her name, I change the subject. It's not like we were ever a big item. She just came into my life and blew it to pieces. That's right. It's all over between her and I. No more worrying, no more complaining, no more anything. I sort of want the Jim Carrey total erasure from your mind like in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. But not without the Alexander Pope explanation of why it shouldn't be there anymore.

So who am I talking about. You know her as Katrina. This past weekend, I had an epiphany. I am no longer going to mention how sick I am hearing about whether my home town should be rebuilt, how bad the NOPD is treating people with a little "southern hospitality", and how bad the insurance companies are stingy mo fo's. That's it, no more. I heard myself explaining the situation to another person who could give a rats ass, or do anything to help but say atleast you got your health. I'm over that part. I'm in the pissed off part now. It's like the seventh stage of recovery.

People hear your story then shake their heads and mumble something like it's so sad. You know what's sad, is that you don't know what it's like to not have a home anymore, a job anymore, a place to see family, a place to remember the good times of your youth, a place where people reveled in the typical maddness of white linen night. I can't replace it, it's all irreplacable.
So, don't tell you know or that it's too bad or that I'm lucky to have insurance. Right now, I'd rather not have insurance.

Ranting is the only way to release this frustration. I am not telling a sob story anymore. Katrina got my life for one month, but she is not taking anymore. I'm moving on to big and better things. There is new life for me and my family. It may not be the easy way, but I know that it's going to get better with time. Dwelling on what happened is going to help me now get a job. I can tell you this though, when I get to be about 75 or 80 someone is going to have shut my ass up because I will be rambling like the old lady from the Titanic. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. From now on, if I even have to mention her name, it will be with the letter "K". Goodbye for now "K", hope I never see or hear from you again.

3 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

Yeah, I was just telling people that when we get old, we will be SO smug and condescending to the young ones. (old man voice) "You don't know what adversity is...You didn't live thru Katrina! You're soft, goddamnit!"

In all seriousness, I understand. In my travels in Memphis, St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Austin after the storm, one of the hardest things is walking around and knowing that all these people, while perhaps kind and well-intentioned, have no clue what I feel. I'll probably rant a bit about this on my next blog post as well.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Judith said...

I just want my camera back so that I can rant through my photographs. I'm pretty out of it w/out my camera, that and my car. I never thought how much I needed that damn thing until now. There's no subway here in Yonkers & the buses take FOREVER.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger bayou_boy504 said...

If you can't get over Katrina on your own, you can always try using hard alcohol and a lot of drugs!

Mmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home