Sunday, October 02, 2005

It's Sunday and I gotta watch dem Saints!!!

Yeah, I know how pathetic I am. Sitting here wondering were can I watch the damn Saints blow another game. It's all I got right now that keeps my spirits up high even when the beer is free.

I spent most of the past two days unloading a 26' foot truck into a 10 by 20 storage unit out here in San Diego. It was a good thing my younger brother was around to help. People have a misconception about San Diego always being 70 degrees and cool. Let me state that it was warmer than that as we crammed everything we own into that unit.

"Take it off here, boss?" - Dragline
"Awright Dragline, take it off." - boss man

Saturday I returned the yellow monster of Gonzales back to Penske, and I started back to cousin Carol's place. A new residence for the O'Keefe's. As I try to remember what I used to do on Saturdays it became painstaking reminder of what seems like an eternity away from home/reality. My wife and I ended up on a walk around the neighborhood here only to be stopped by an elderly man who stood with mouth agape at the fact there were two evacuaees living on his block. I thought for a second he would scream for his wife to get the camera so he could take a picture with us to show everyone he knew that he saw a couple from New Orleans.

Saturday night we accompanied my cousin to a friend of her's birthday bash. It was there that I realized how bad it is now to be a native New Orleanian. Questions started flying at me about my hometown, like Mike Brown at a congressional hearing.

"You should never build anything below sea-level. It's just doesn't make sense. They don't insure the people of Missouri valley after they got flooded 10 years ago. Your mayor and governor really screwed up."

Everyone with an opinion on the situation seemed to explurge their life lessons upon me with an unavailed eye to the fact that I really didn't care. All that matters to me right now is getting my life back together. The city of New Orleans will survive. What I don't know is whether it will ever be the same place I remember in my heart. It's time for me to find a place to go watch the Saints game. Yeah, it's 9:30am and I am looking for a bar. What's your point?

What I wouldn't give to be sitting in my sofa chair as my brothers come crashing through the back door with a 12 pack under their arm's screaming about how that Saints defense better show up today. A pile of nachos sits in front of us as we sulk our heads at every disappionting play. The t.v. commentator's blundering every player's name on the Saints roster. My brother sreaming about how we should be listening to the radio, but the delay is too much for us to bear. As the clock ticks down to another big loss it's all good because were together. That's makes everything seem so right in the world for a Sunday.

3 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

ya know they stream WWL online.

i'm just putting it out there!

i had to suffer with falcons games when i was in alabama so the radio was the last remaining salve of home when there weren't bars around with Direct TV.

and the radio is ten times better than the TV commentators

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger tigertalk said...

Driving through the awful state of NEw Mexico was only helped by hearing the first half of the saints game. While getting a oil change did I hear that we won. Of course we won because it was the Alamodome not the Superdome. We still can't stop the pass. I want to get tickets to the miami vs saints in Death valley because I want to be the lone person cheering for Cea Bon. After the kickoff, all saints baby! 2-2 on our way to another 8-8 season.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

You are a saint. I have a feeling that if I were at a party and people started lecturing me about why you shouldn't build a city below sea level, pliers would be need to pry my fingers from around his/her throat. Why build inland when you can be demolished by tornadoes? Why build anything in California when it can be destroyed by Earthquakes (in fact, you should leave right now!!)? Why build in Seattle when Mt. Rainier could bury it in a pile of ash?

(stepping down from soapbox)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home