Monday, September 19, 2005

Ya'll Come Back Now, Ya' Hear?

I'm packed to hilt and strapped like Gary Busey. That's right I'm heading back to New Orleans to reclaim what's left of ours. Just when all is safe the great mayor of New Orleans opens the city back up to everyone that has left. The people that want to come back will. Don't need to tell them when because if memory serves me correct you can tell people from New Orleans that can't come home still they will find a way.

It's like watching Rocky try to catch the chicken for the first time falling flat on his face and cursing the chicken. "You've gotta crap lighting and shit thunder!" Burgess Meredith exclaimed. You can't try to keep people from going back home, it's what they know and feel most at ease with themselves. I heard someone talking about how New Orleans and Jefferson Parish should combine so that they could have one big smart government making decisions for New Orleans and surrounding metropolitan area. Not going to happen. It would be even more corrupt. What people don't understand is the history or legacy of Louisiana politics that forseeds itself. It's been embedded into the psyche of every local or state official. If you aren't doing something to benefit yourself your just not doing your job right. It's a sad state of affairs for those looking from the outside in, but it's all we know. I can't imagine what life will be like in this city 1, 5, or 10 years from now. I can pray that it gets better, but the heat and humidity make people do crazy things. I, for one am doing something crazy. I am gathering all my stuff and leaving the one place I've called home for so long. It's better that I remember it the way that I want, and not the way someone else will try to change it.

So, here's to meeting up with my mom and dad this week. Swapping storm stories and reliving what was once our home. I can't wait to have a 3 beer Thursday with my brother and pops. As my pops exhuberantly proclaimed from a barstool one hot ass summer day, "Here's too cold beer on hot days." Thank you St. Joseph!