Friday, April 01, 2005

Top 5 Duo's of All-Time

No need to applause…Here’s the rest of the top 5 duo’s of all-time, according to me.

5. Captain and Tennille – When it’s time to turn the lights down low and play a little mood music. Who better to put in the 8 track than “Do it to me one more time”. Yeah Sonny and Cher had their own show, Simon and Garfunkel pack Central Park, but nobody and I mean no body wore a Captains hat and sang love songs at the Holiday Inn Lounge in Paducah, Kentucky. They put out some good songs, and I still love hearing the Muskrat Love Song. Can’t be beat.

4. John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd - Jake and Elwood Blues Brothers. These two are an instant classic they rocked everyone with their gold album and then made a motion picture hit with “The Blues Brothers”. Is there anything better than the scene were they are in the fancy restaurant gorging themselves and harassing the family next to them. “How much for the little girl?” How much for all the women?” The great thing about them was that they really could sing and dance. Not too mention they had some of the best supporting actors in their movie. John Candy, Carrie Fisher, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Cab Calloway, and even Steven Speilberg. Wouldn’t you just love to have watch the making of the Blues Brothers on a 100 hour DVD. It would be gold, Jerry.

3. Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen - Was there a better on-court duo in basketball than these two guys. They won 72 games won season and the handful of games they lost were by 4 points or less. Michael was the epitome of what I wanted to be when I grew up. He could deliver the dagger whenever, but his greatest work was turning the long faced skinny punk into one of the top 50 best athletes in the N.B.A. Can you imagine Scottie making the team without playing with Jordan. Can you imagine Kurt Rambis being in the top 50 players of all time because he played with Magic. Nahh. That’s how good Jordan was. He could make Luc Longley and Bill Winnington look like all-stars. These were 7 foot white guys who couldn’t jump over the Wednesday sports section. Jordan made Pippen, but then again they made each other better.
2. Bo and Luke Duke - These guys knew how to get it done. They are on my all-time list of people I wished I could be for one day. The Duke boys were just a bunch of good old boys that never meaning no harm. What’s better than driving a supped up Charger through the backwoods of Kentucky on dirt roads and jumping ramps while being chased by a stuttering cop and a hound dog named Lightning. You had to love when the guys would slide across the hood of the car and then jump through the window to get in. I wonder how many times those guys fought over who was going to drive the General Lee. Bo: “I want to drive, this time Luke. Last time you ran us off the road into a pile of manure. Luke: No way, Bo. You have a lead foot and gas prices are creeping up.”

1. Without further ado…. Sonny Crockett and RicardoTubbs – Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas were the coolest thing around in the 80’s. I remember how badly I wanted to wear big baggy linen pants and hot pink undershirts. From the opening montage of guys playing Jai-Alai and the electronic sound of Jan Hammer to the unbelievable cars driven by Don Johnson. Was there anything better than the episode where Crockett gets a concussion and believes he is his undercover alter-ego and joins the Columbian crime boss. It was that episode I thought man this is a great show, they took the main character who I thought was the coolest guy and made him a bad guy. It took Crockett three episodes before he returned to his normal bad-ass cop routine. I loved the house-boat. I remember writing a paper in 5 grade saying that when I grew up I wanted to capture Columbian drug lords and own a house-boat. There was nothing better than Miami Vice. It set the tone for the week. I cried when Philip Michael Thomas got shot and was upset when Sonny’s car exploded. My dad couldn’t stand watching Miami Vice. He would always be yelling at the t.v. “How many rounds of ammunition does Crockett have… a thousand. He hasn’t reloaded once and his gun keeps firing.” Or better yet. “How the hell do you not know Crockett is a cop, he’s only busted about a million of the same drug dealers.”? The best one was: “Come on. These guys are ridiculous. I bet you I could figure out he was a cop and shot him within the first five minutes of the show.” Besides all the criticism there was no one around who didn’t want to be these guys. I can one attest to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home