Thursday, April 28, 2005

I work hard for my money. So hard for money.

Looking forwards and backwards I realized that in all my meandering that what I really want to do is travel the world. But I don’t think they pay high wages to world travelers unless you’re making a reality show out of it with two hot blonde girls and a monkey. People are just fascinated by monkeys.

I still can’t figure out why people run to the zoo to see animals that could be seen in the wild for a much cheaper price. Not too mention the overall happiness of the animal is ten times higher in the open than it is as a surrogate mother to the 15 male baboons.

So, what’s next on my list of things I wish I rather be doing. Let’s see. I've always thought I would make a good movie critic. Watch a couple of movies a week, right an article that more than 98% of the world could care less about. The 2% is left for family and friends.
Then, I would say this movie is worth spending your kid’s tuition on because you know that ‘s were the prices are heading. It’s at about 8 dollars a ticket, soon it will be 10 bucks. Before you know it, I will be that old man in the corner screaming about I remember when ticket prices were so cheap you could pay for you and your date. Now, I just want to be able to buy a pack of Juji Fruits or Snow Caps with out having to worry about what I will have to do without for a week. I really don't understand why they won't let you bring your own food to the movie theaters. I can recall once in my college days, my buddy and I pooled our money together and bought a pizza and walked into the movie theater with entire box. People just starred at us like we were robbing a bank and they wanted to tell everyone they saw the crooks who pulled it off. Those were the days.

Today, I have taken a page out of the Phil Knight book of making money. Only I haven’t outsourced my work to Southern parts of Asia, but instead found cheap manual laborers here in the good old U. S.A. Remember my game plan for getting young teens to mow my lawn over the summer. Well, I spent a few minutes rationalizing the idea to a couple of 13 year olds and it paid off. I told them 20 bucks a lawn. It shouldn’t take you over 2 hours to mow and edge a lawn. That means you’re making 10 bucks an hour. Were else are you going to find wages like that at 13. So, it quickly spread around that I’m paying kids 10 bucks an hour for lawn-care services. Little do they know, I researched what it would normally cost to hire a professional and it’s 40-50 dollars a lawn. Not too mention I am paying by lawn not individual. So if two boys mow one lawn they have to split the 20 bucks. I end up making a 20-30 dollar profit, in which I may every now and then treat them to a cold drink. Still, for the most part I have about a dozen lawns around the neighborhood on my list and kids signing up by the dozens. No sweat shop here. I figure if I can keep the kids below 15 years old, and have them mow lawns under two hour limit than maybe daddy can buy himself a new keg raider. Don’t tell. Try to keep this our little Michael Jackson nanny secret.
Lastly, I have wondered about doing nothing. I mean who really needs work. Not me. It’s not that I am lazy, just that I would rather be doing other things with my time. When it comes to paying bills and wanting new things, that’s for suckers. I am willing to bet that someday down the road I will look back and say that by doing nothing for a living I have done a lot more than most.

2 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

A lawn care service! You are a genuis!

In fact, you should use the movie, Bottle Rocket, as inspiration and show the kids a picture of "The Lawn Wranglers". I always that picture was hilarious when Owen Wilson shows it to his brother. There's James Caan standing on a lawn with a row of jackasses holding landscaping equipment.

But another funny note, Spam, the drummer for T-Model Ford of Fat Possum Records in Oxford, MS, is threatening to leave T-Model to go cut lawns in Greenville, MS, because he said and I quote,

"I could make mo' money cuttin' grass than I ever could for yo' ugly ass."

Gotta love that guy's belief system.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger bayou_boy504 said...

Hopefully you can hook me up with some of them migrant workers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home