Sunday, September 04, 2005

How one girl has ruined my life...Katrina, you dog.

If anyone was keeping tabs on me the past few weeks, they would have found a traveling vagabond in desperate search for a home.

Last Sunday my wife and I escaped the onslaught of Hurricane Katrina for a hotel in Memphis with our dog, Hero. We arrived in Memphis with the intention of only being there for 2-3 days. Well, needless to say if you have been living under a rock the past week you have seen what has happened to our home town. It's crazy to think of the place I grew up my entire life as being under water. After the storm hit, we decided to up our stay at the hotel for several more days while we figured out our where to go next. Still, my mom was stuck in the city working as a nurse at a local hospital. My brothers and my pops were hold up in a house with 13 others outside the city on high ground. I on the other hand, had to fight for our right to stay at our hotel. The hotel wanted to kick out the hurricane evacuees in order to maintain reservations for the show "American Idol." After many phone calls to t.v. stations, radio stations, and newspapers, American Idol got cancelled. I felt better, but still dumbfounded as I realized that this crummy hotel was my new home.

I finally got in touch with my brothers and they decided to meet us on our way to Phoenix. My mom is still stuck at the hospital, where I pray everyday that relief comes for her to leave. I know what she does is for the greater good of those in critical need, but I can't help feel selfish. Right now, we are debating were to set up shop for now. I pray everyone is safe, and I thank everyone for their well wishes and prayers. I will update later when I have a clue of what we're going to do.