Tuesday, September 06, 2005

You can take me away from New Orleans, but can't take New Orleans out of me!

Well, it's officially started. The ridiculous effort it will take to restore and bring New Orleans back to it's original funkified state. I was reading today that Sean Penn was volunteering to go house to house in order to help with evacuations in the city. Great, Spicolli is looking for tastie buds and humongous waves as he searches door to door. Needless to say, he does this all while a personal photographer takes pictures of him assisting others. A reporter hangs in the wayside taking notes of Sean Penn's tedious work efforts as he tries to convince Bubba the Magic Carpet Rider from Arabi that the Saints are not leaving New Orleans.

I on the other hand, have to commend all those giving of themselves without recognition for their hard work and determination to save lives. I know it's hard enough to try and find the people still trapped in their homes, and then they have to convince the people they have to get out. We are now in Phoenix which has picked up over 1,000 residents in exile. I feel like one of the thousands of Jews who were lead out of exile by Charlton Heston, a.k.a Moses, in the Ten Commandments. It's weird not being home, not thinking about what I have to do for work tomorrow, and most importantly living out our normal lives. Instead, we are forced to call credit card companies to beg for forebearance and hear the constant, "I'm so sorry for you and your family. Is there anything else we can do?" Yeah, erase all my previous debt so I can start my life over on a clean slate.

I know await word that Keanu Reeves is flying in on helicopter rescue missions, screaming to the people below, "I am an FBI agent." What I really look forward to are the Red Beans and Rice Mondays, the eternal happiness when Fridays roll around, and Sunday afternoons cursing as the Saints give up a 14 point lead as my brothers and I watch in despair. Here's too all those helping out. And here's too all those starting over. Somewhere God is watching down on us and smiling as we make the best out of a tragic horrendous situation.