Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Two turn-tables and a microphone

Sorry I haven't been writing too much lately as I have been getting in gear for the school year. What a summer this has been. It's funny how it has come and gone. I got a great story if you got the time.

I had a very truly ultimate buying experience the other day. It all dates back a couple of years ago when I started to collect some new albums to play with my new stereo receiver. Upon moving back home, I asked my brother for a record player he wasn't using at the time. At least I don't think he was using it. Last time I checked he didn't have his room set up like DJ Jazzy Jeff with turn-tables and big quadrophonic speakers blaring 2 Live Crew.

So he gave me the record player and it only took me a year to getting around to seeing if it works. Actually, it was my brother who got it fixed, but we're like Rick and T.A. from Magnum P.I. We don't thank each other much, even though there is an unspoken acknowledgement that the other did a huge favor. Needless to say after it was all said and done my new receiver wouldn't amplify the record player. It was very frustrating and comical as my brother and I stood over the receiver constantly putting plugs into various ports on the back of the receiver and then checking to see if we heard anything coming out the speakers. We must have looked like two guys who came to fix the plumbing in my bathroom. As one was under the house the other was in the bathroom standing over the toilet, they began to scream at high pitches through the floorboards commands. "Flush it now!" "I'm flushin' it." "Jiggle the handle!" "Christ almighty, what else you want me to do, scrub the bowl?" "I can't see anything." "It's a good thing shit flows downstream."

Still I was resolved to fix this record player. I then inquired Mrs. Veritas to ask her mother for her old 1960's stereo receiver. Which she was willingfully ready to depart with, but my brother-in-law called and said he had put his claims on it already. Someone actually staked out a 1960's stereo receiver and said that's mine? My brother-in-law trying to be a good man offered a trick to make the record player work without acquiring a new receiver. After spending 10 bucks and an entire afternoon of trying to make the record player work I gave up and decided to buy another receiver. If my pops was around to watch me struggle with the player he would have exclaimed, "you look like a monkey trying to screw a football, give it here."

Finally, I got up and went to the Thrift Store determine to buy an old cheapie. Sad thing is nowadays the Thrift Store isn't a place to buy junk at cheap prices. Instead it's the retro place to buy junk at sometimes ridiculous prices. Intermingling with other late 20 and 30 year olds at the Thrift store I knew that as my buddy Burke would say, "they're on to the game, man." I left the thrift store defeated but not out. A good friend of mine does a lot of purchasing on ebay so I decided to try that avenue. Bingo!! Ebay is crack for the spontaneous compulsive shoppers out there. I can't even describe what it's like if you're competitive like myself. I didn't want to lose out to nobody named buffboy12 or nancigrl23. I had to coax myself out of raising the bid on myself a couple of times because I felt like the bid was too low and I would get beat out at the last second. I can now see why so many people shop on ebay. 5 hours later I won my first bid and in a week will continue in my quest to hear RUN DMC pumping out my 45's in my living room. Peace out, my brothers.

2 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

ahh yes, so you've encountered buffboy12 and nancigrl23. They're mean bidders, but the key is to engage in slanderous attacks through email. that's where the charm lies.

great post. love the rick and t.a. reference. and the plumbing story is killing me right now.

btw, i went over to our grandmother's house and found Led Zeppelin Zoso in her album collection along with Peter Frampton Frampton Comes Alive. must be part of our crazy uncle's collection. i'm thinking of playing a little trick on them by telling them i sold the albums on ebay for a nice price.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger bayou_boy504 said...

Yo dj bring that back!

Wickey, wickey, wereeerrrrr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home