Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Party, Party, Party.

"Nobody drink the beer. The beer has gone bad." - Fred
"There's nothing wrong with the beer, man." - Mike Dexter
"Nevermind." - Fred (Can't Hardly Wait)

Last weekend I ended up going to a dinner party at my wife's boss' house. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Another one of those parties where everyone is not comfortable, so talk revolves around work. Still, I was going to make the best of the time spent because it's free food. What's not to like about that.

The party got off to a rousing start when I learned that one of my wife's fellow co-workers, Jude, who had been married for over 20 something years left his wife for another guy. Nothing wrong with that, other than it makes for some interesting conversation. His partner was also there, and they both went into full detail about their relationship and how Jude's wife has no issues with his new lifestyle. Great. So, now it gets interesting. Since Jude is new and still shy about the whole coming out experience, and his partner is openly flambouyant this led to fun times at the dinner table. Many of us were very supportive of his new lifestyle, but we were also eager to make him feel comfortable about discussing it in public.
Our host for the night were good partiers and filled everyone with plenty of drinks. I have never been a fan of after dinner drinks, but after we finished eating they pulled out over 10 different bottles of licuer. It was fun watching those individuals that are so tightly wound finally let their guard down to slip down a couple of shots.
"Just woof it down."
"Woof it down?"
"Yeah you know chug it... The whole thing." - Sixteen Candles restaurant scene
Well, needless to say our main event that night revolved around Jude downing over 10 different brands of licuer. To which no avail, he openly confessed some interesting information about his new relationship.
"My kid told me the other day that Mother's day is going to be a bitch."
"We just bought a new shower head off QVC and it's so powerful that I don't want to leave the shower." His partner replied, "Neither do I."
The best one of the night, "When I told my wife I was gay, she said that she wanted to met my partner. So I told her that she could met him on Sunday at church, that way if she killed me they wouldn't have to go far to bury my ass."

The whole night was filled with these raunchy off-color jokes. Which reminded me of my days back in L.A. when I worked at a television station as a producer. There was a guy who worked in the graphics department who was openly gay. He used to hit on me all the time. It was not a flattering thing because he hit on everyone. Still, a constant barage of flirtations came my way until I told him to stop one day. He then proclaimed that I was homophobic. Me a homophob!!! It was like I couldn't win. My boss came up to me one day and asked that I try and be more sensitive about his sexual preferences. So, the next time this guy comes into work he starts up with me again. It was then that I unleashed a healthy dose of wisecracks right back at him. I kept thinking he is going to report my ass to my boss and it's all over. Instead he laughed. This changed the whole complexion of our relationship. We started to talk more and it was never demeaning to each other. On my last day, he cried and gave me a hug goodbye. I told him to stop being a sissy boy. We laughed for a moment, little did I know that would be the last time I ever would see him again. He was a funny friend. Not a funny gay friend. But a funny friend.

2 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger bayou_boy504 said...

I like the part about meeting the new boyfriend in church. That's good stuff!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Jackie Bolen said...

Wow...sounds like a pretty good time! I love it when parties are much better than expected.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home