Thursday, July 21, 2005

Partying like I was a Hilton (Old Man Hilton)

Bill: Ted, while I agree that, in time, our band will be most triumphant. The truth is, Wyld Stallyns will never be a super band until we have Eddie Van Halen on guitar.
Ted: Yes, Bill. But, I do not believe we will get Eddie Van Halen until we have a triumphant video.
Bill: Ted, it's pointless to have a triumphant video before we even have decent instruments. Ted: Well, how can we have decent instruments when we don't really even know how to play?
Bill: That is why we NEED Eddie Van Halen!
Ted: And THAT is why we need a triumphant video.

The old adage of "if it's too loud, you're too old" is starting to grow on me.
Last night, we (wife and brothers) went to go see Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers at the House of Blues. It was all set up by my brother-in-law who actually does the lighting and audio for the band when they tour. So we had comp tickets, a late night concert, a bar, a week night, and school/work the next day. Ingredients that spell distruction. So we went without hestitation. It's free tickets.
Roger Clyne is somewhat of a country rock band that has been around for years. Roger Clyne was actually in the Refreshments (which is why most of us were there), and he also wrote the musical introduction for King of the Hill.

No need to digress, we had a great time. Soulfly opened up for the Peacemakers and they were grooving until the lead singer broke a string on his guitar. Talk about meltdown. It was Carl Lewis singing the National Anthem all over again.
The Peacemakers came and out and rocked the crowd for a good hour and half. We all enjoyed it and the music was pretty good. The only source of contention I had was when I looked around at the other late night 30 year olds who were trying to tap their fountain of youth in order to be in their 20's again, I suddenly felt...old. Please don't laugh because I do go out late, sometimes. What really gets me is the middle of the week stuff when I know the next day I can't sleep in. What I need to do is stop by Walgreens before I go out and get some Chaser.
When we got home from the concert I was still awake and couldn't just fall asleep. I was up a another hour. Finally when I laid my head on the pillow, the alarm quickly rang and I was off to school. It never fails. Needless to say, I bet every one else at that concert was struggling to get up for work the next day, except for those who don't care about work.
"It's not that I don't try, it's just that I don't care." -Ron Livingston in Office Space
Lesson learned, I think. That is until the next free concert comes by my door. I may not go to sleep at all, just stay up the whole night. That'll teach me a lesson.

1 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger bayou_boy504 said...

Chaser pills are a great invention.

I also find that charcoal works well in the morning if I have a hangover. (The pill kind, not the briquettes.)

Or if I can't find any charcoal in the medicine cabinet, I usually try making myself a kickass bloody mary. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home