Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Is that who I think it is?

Burke: Dude, is that Jon Barry?
Me: Yeah it is.
Bruke: Dude, I’m going to go say hi to him. (walks over) Aren’t you Jon Barry, who got drafted by the Boston Celtics?
Jon Barry: Yup!
Burke: Awesome, I am a huge Celtic fan and loved it when they drafted you.
Barry: Cool.
Burke: Well, I just wanted to say hi.
Barry: All right, cool.
Burke turns around and says very loudly: That guy sucks. I glad we traded his ass to the Lakers.

I have this innate tendency to sometimes tell people a little too much about myself. I guess that's because part of me is a journeyman. A person filled with stories and experiences that I cherish deeply. My younger brother brought up his close encounters with a celebrity (check out the Poker Report), and this got me to thinking about some very valuable and trusted memories of mine.
Thinking back to my living experiences in Los Angeles, which I lived their for over 6 years got me to retrace some of my close encounters with the famous. Which brings me to the question that I'd always hear, "Did you ever see anyone famous?" Sorry, but I have to admit I’ve got some classic run ins with actors and actress' that would highlight my entire stay in L.A.
Erckel from Family Matters, yeah the guy with the suspenders and glasses who coined the phrase, "Did I do that?" Saw him drunk off his ass one night in a Fat Burger surrounded by what looked like an Erckel posse. A group of guys that appeared to look gangster, but really couldn't pull it off. “I from the hood. Shut up bitch, you’re from Orange County.”
Blossom, the girl who made NBC famous for her teenage dating experiences (those funky hats she wore) and her obnoxious brother Joey, "Whoa!!!" I bought her a shot at Westwood Brewery one night (long night) and proceeded to ask her about her friend on the show, Six, or as I referred to her that night, Sex. There are other numerous tales of me running into Tackleberry (police academy), seeing George Wendt (Norm) roll a keg into his backyard -go figure, sitting behind David Schwimmer as he made out with this unknown girl in Century City movie theater, watching Ed Bagley Jr. mow his lawn with electric mower and 20 solar panels atop his house, and laughing as Alicia Silverstone tried to go to classes at my college without anybody noticing-Yeah Right. There are many more tales of celebrity run-ins that a far less enticing as those, but nothing beats getting on a elevator with Divine Brown and asking her if Hugh Grant was cool. Despite all these sightings, that wasn't what made living in L.A. so great. It was my friends, hanging out at each other's apartments, going out, and cruising to the beach searching for the next Baywatch star. All the mundane things that we did, and how we made every week in the city of angels one of the best times of our lives. Not too mention the Oscar parties, NFL Sunday early mornings, and late night diners (Ships –my favorite across from the Sony lot on Century Blvd.) Love those days, when I thought I would become a star by selling one of my scripts. Right now, I would be happy if I sold anything.

2 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

My God, you could work for US magazine.

I love the story about Divine Brown. And of course the story about Burke with Jon Barry is priceless.

And don't worry about selling a script, Trashcan Dreams is just in the middle of a development stage known as....development. Yea, development sounds good, not what it actually is, but let's roll with that answer, huh. Development.

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

V

 

Post a Comment

<< Home