Friday, October 06, 2006

Field of Dreams

I grew up deep in the heart of Kenner, Louisiana in an area called University City where the streets where divided by state names. The neighborhoods had tons of kids who rode bikes everywhere and played in the streets. As the fall of 1986 began my parents and I went to the nearby playground to sign up for Pee-Wee Football. It would be my first ever experience in the realm of tackle football playing for the Wentwood Indians. A profound memory exists today of my time playing Pee-Wee, and it occurred during the first week of practice when our coaches gave us our game jerseys. I sat there in anticipation waiting and wanting only one number.

The coach bustled around in those football coach shorts furiously tossing jerseys as if he had somewhere else he had to be. Since my last name is close to the end of the alphabet I sweated as the names and numbers went by before me. I kept my fingers crossed in the hopes that when my name was called that the number 44 would be accompanied with it. To my dismay 44 was called a McAdams and Norris just in front of my name. You see 44 was the number of my favorite Saint at that time, Dave Waymer. He hailed from Notre Dame which I was also a huge fan of because of my father's affilation/infatuation with the school. Plus he was a hard hitting cornerback that shut down some of the mightiest wide recievers in the league at that time. The number that was now affiliated with me as a Wentwood Indian would be-49. 49? Come on. I didn't want that number. Give me 21 for Dalton, 84 for Eric Martin, 57 for Rickey, or the best would be 3 for the Cajun Cannon.

So I pleaded with others on my team to trade numbers with me and even offered rookie cards of Brett Maxie or my Mel Gray rookie. Nothing doing. Everyone was locked into their numbers. Just then our parents were coming to pick us up. Most of us were excited about the jerseys while others just issued in a low voice, "Got number 19."

That's when my father came walking up with a smile on his face. He was so happy to see me with a jersey. I looked at him with the saddest of eyes pleading with him as if he could magically change the numbers.
"Pop, I got 49." He looked surprised at me and asked what's wrong with 49. He then explained that it happens to be the number of one of the greatest Saints players. I asked who.
"Frank Wattelet!" he affirmed. I suddenly started to take some interest.
"Who's Frank Wattelet?"
"Only one of the best safeties in the league. He pops guys coming over the middle and helps protect Dave Waymer when he gets beat." I started to smile. Then I started repeating the name to myself as if to reassure that this was the right choice. It didn't matter anymore, my pops liked Frank Wattelet and he liked me wearing that number. So from that point on Frank Wattelet became one of my favorite Saints player of all time. He may not have gone to a Pro-Bowl, been named defensive player of the week, or been named on any list other than the Saints starting roster, still everytime the game came on I looked for 49 and followed him with all my attention. Guys like Frank Wattelet fade from our memories from time to time, but for some they hold a special place in their heart because a father found a moment to make his son feel happy again.

9 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger dillyberto said...

Great post.

It is fun to remember how we first came to love the game and the team.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger saintseester said...

I was going to Saints games with my granddaddy since I was about 8. One time when I was around 13 or so, my little brother would have been 9. Granddad was working and we were hanging out in the lobby of the Hyatt, when we saw Archie Manning go by. My brother just about popped a vein he was so excited. And the fact that "Mr. Manning" stopped and spoke with us made my brother's year!

Personally, I favored Hokie. Gotta love a guy that can press 800 pounds with his legs.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

Dude, Dalton was 21, not 22.

Any true Saints fan would know that.

 
At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm smiling ear to ear. Frank Wattelet is a very good friend of mine. He was not only a talented football player but played with his heart as well as his head. Nowadays, he can be seen in the high school and college stands watching his boys play. Off the field, you would be hard pressed to find a man of better character and with a kinder soul. You could not have chosen, albeit through dad's advice, a better number to wear on your jersey. Frank is very humble, but he'll be smiling when I tell him of your story. Best to you.

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played for Wentwood back in 1967 and 1968. Both years we won the city championship. I played quarterback and my number was 19 the first year and 15 the second. Not bad for a kid who admired Johnny U. and Bart Starr. I miss those years!
God bless!
Steven Scaffidi
www.ghostriderpictures.com

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great story! It actually brought tears to my eyes. Why, because Framk Wattelet is my older brother. I have seen him play football my whole life. He played for the Abilene Cowboys, Kansas Jayhawks and then the New Orleans Saints. He has the most incredible drive and work ethic and what a life of accomplishment he holds. He has always made me proud and continues to do so. He is an incredible son, husband, father, brother and friend. He is gracious, humble and kind and continues to make me laugh harder than any person I know! I am glad that he became an inspiration for you because he has always been one for me. Thanks for sharing your story! I have copied it off and plan on sending it to all of the family!

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger sdfsdfd said...

I will knock your teeth out yeah I mean when I was 14 man I wish you had already had more Lebanon the average you know cumshaw the matter I I'm sorry let them know that miss out on land that was that the transition generation now it's just full blown stake it as long as you cared for your time I thought my parents were reckless just turn me lose money do whatever.


http://binaryoptionpay.com/
http://findbinaryoption.com/
http://findbestbinaryoption.com/
http://findtopbinaryoption.com/
http://binaryoptiontopbroker.com/
http://binaryoptionwork.com/
http://binaryoptionworkhelp.com/
http://binaryoptionworksupport.com/
http://listedbinaryoption.com/
http://reliablebinaryoption.com/

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

201598dongdong
coach outlet store online
michael kors outlet
ray ban sunglass
coach outlet
louis vuitton outlet
coach canada outlet
christian louboutin outlet
nike outlet,nike shoes,nike store,nike air max,nike free run,air max,nike free,nike blazers
oakley sunglasses wholesale
louis vuitton
toms outlet
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton outlet
tod's shoes
nike huarache
kobe shoes
ralph lauren
michael kors
michael kors
longchamp handbags
ugg boots outlet
burberry outlet
ugg sale
barbour jackets
louis vuitton outlet
true religion sale
michael kors handbags
true religion
nike trainers
michael kors outlet online
michael kors purse
michael kors uk
uggs outlet
mont blanc

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger chenlili said...

chenlili20160321
coach outlet
nike running shoes for men
ugg on sale
louis vuitton handbags
kate spade handbags
michael kors outlet
coach outlet
ralph lauren
canada goose outlet online
louis vuitton bags
true religion jeans
michael kors outlet
cheap toms
cheap air jordans
gucci handbags
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton bags
jordan 3 powder blue
kobe 8
ed hardy outlet
cheap basketball shoes
michael kors outlet
cheap toms
ray ban outlet
nfl jerseys
canada goose outlet
louis vuitton handbags
jordan 3 retro
nike sb dunks
louis vuitton outlet stores
oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
coach factorty outlet online
oakley sunglasses wholesale
michael kors bags
michael kors bags
coach outlet store online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home