Thursday, October 19, 2006

Crazy times

It behoves me to note that it's been a while since I talked about something other than the New Orleans Saints, but that's been my life as of recent. With every passing week my eyes and heartbeat anticipate the upcoming game as if it were a celebration of life. There have been more important things happening in my life outside of my beloved Saints. I just find more time to concentrate on our secondary in 3rd and long situations over whether those people will ever get off that island in "Lost."

Today I spent the better part of my morning interviewing for a job. Yeah this is like the hundreth job interview for me. Going into these interviews has become quite comical as if I were Ben Afflect in "Good Will Hunting" pretending to be someone else in an interview. The phrases are the same just worded differently, but the reactions are what makes it so much fun.

"What made you decide on our company?"
"Well, you're the only ones to call me in for an interview. To be honest I've never heard of using a rubber ball to store a gallon of oil."
"What kind of supervisor are you?"
"A pretty unsuccessful one because I can't even supervise my dog's bathroom habits. No really I'm good, just not with others."
"Describe your multi-tashing skills?"
"Well I can manage to eat nachos while drinking a beer without ever missing a play during a Saints game. On the other hand I was the official beer person in my small group of friends and I was responsible for picking up multiple types of beer from different stores while managing a budget and kickoff time."

Sometimes when I see them struggling for words to ask a question I start smiling about what it must feel like to hold a position in which you have no idea of how to describe to others. What's your position? I'm in charge of the management structure development team assisting all regional supervisors. Oh, really. That sounds made up.

I feel like George Canstanza at times.
"It's not the looking for the jobs, but the listening. You see I'm looking, but more importantly I'm listening. The listening is very important."

I could be a general manager of a sports team, like the Zyphers or New Orleans Breakers? It really doesn't matter. I just love to hear those famous words at the end of an interview. "We'll be in touch." No you won't. If you do get in touch with me it's to offer me the job. If you don't call then it's pretty much implied that you're not hiring me. Just say that. Wow, crazy times. That's why the Saints are on the top of my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home