Thursday, October 25, 2007

Tonight, we dance the dance of victory!



Papelbon is no Michael Flatley, but then again he throws 97 mph fastballs shutting down baseball's biggest hitters. So take that you crazy leg dance machine.
I was utterly amazed as I watched my Red Sox fight their way back from a 3-1 deficit against the Tribe last weekend. It was something that rivals 2004, although it's special in its own way.

Seeing Beckett squash the Indian batters one by one in game five was fantastic. More impressive was the attitude he threw at old man river Kenny Lofton after he threw his bat down on a pop up. In somewhat of a retaliation move he told Kenny to sit his old saggy ass down on the bench, and to stop messing with Dice K.
Beckett has been the one determined force on the team that really doesn't take anything from anybody. He's not backing down, he's going to throw inside and he'll challenge you with his fastball. Not since Pedro and minnie Pedro have we had a bad ass on the team. Yeah, Schill is a great post-season pitcher, but he doesn't have that fire like Papelbon or Beckett.

I have to say I was more worried about Dice K pitching game 7 than anything else during that series. And what made Game 7 so heartwrenching was watching the Sox load the bases up time and time again only to be put out on double plays. It was as if you were watching your favorite football team blow a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter because their defense was playing prevent. I kept thinking that the Indians were hanging around for that one inning, waiting to explode. Instead they imploded on a Lofton base running mistake, meanwhile the Red Sox exploded with a flurry of runs against the Indians mighty bullpen. I loved every minute of it so much that I did my own irish jig dance. The weird part was the game was kind of peaceful and unnerving which is so unlike a Red Sox game.

That's exactly how I felt as I watched Game one last night against the Rockies. I knew Beckett would be rock solid, it was only a matter of time before the Sox hitters would get to Jeffrey Francis Canuck.
I think I heard Frankie Vali singing "Oh what night" somewhere.
Little Papi - Dustin Pedroia started it off with a homer in the first followed by 2 more runs, then a 30 minute 6th inning that seemed like the Rockies would start auditioning guys in the crowd to pitch. It was a great way to start off the Fall Classic, for a Red Sox fan.
I'm not saying that the Rockies bubble has burst, but there is definitely something deflated about the team. Now I will presume my Sox will continue to ride the hot streak into Colorado, and hopefully close out another World Series Championship with Fat Tires and Paplebon doing the Irish jig on the way down Yawkey Way.
Let's go Red Sox!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home