Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Aints No More



The Windy City will be expecting a warm Brees on Sunday to blow through town. Got back from New Orleans only to recoup my voice and my heart from a crazy playoff weekend in NOLA. Sometimes it's hard to describe the feeling you get when you witnessed something so amazing that it shocks even the soundest mind people. That's what Saturday felt like. As I stood in the back of the Maple Leaf Bar listening to Bonneroo play "When the Saints go Marching In", I got the shivers all over. People were smiling and I suddenly thought that this was the best dream I've ever had.

That next morning I awoke to a sudden coolness under my feet as I knew that Saints have inched thier way one game closer to the Super Bowl and hell is about 15 degrees from freezing over. I'm not saying we don't deserve it. My father pointed out to me that the Pittsburgh Steelers used to be the laughing stock of the league. Up until 1970's the Steelers were an inept, always losing, never capable of getting over the hump. 40 years they had been in the league before they won their first Super Bowl stringing together a run that became known as Steeler Dynasty. The Saints are celebrating thier 40th anniversary this year. Maybe history is repeating itself.

The 12th man was huge on Saturday. Did anyone notice that the play went on because it was so loud no one had heard the whistle until Baskett caught that pass. Wow!! That was deafening. I loved seeing Duece get the ball. Looking forward to seeing Payton feed him some more this weekend. Drew Brees did a good job of managing the game, making plays when needed. What I'm looking for this upcoming weekend is the Saints defense to show the Bears what everyone else has overlooked, and we need some big plays from special teams. We have to stop that Devin Hester, guy. He's explosive. It'll be hard to keep my emotions in check all week. As I told someone earlier last week, having the Saints play into January is like having Christmas all over again each weekend. You get so excited that you can't sleep. I'll just keep on smiling. Go Saints.

1 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was asked by my wife what was it like to follow the Saints with someone else as coach.

It is hard to remember not being amazed by coaching brilliance, seriously.

Coach writes a script for each game, it seems.

He plays the game 12 times in his head and is not surprised by various small changes on gameday.

We are living large with this coach and staff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home