Sunday, January 16, 2005

Latin is a dead language?

I have gotten some comments about the title of my blog. No, it's not my dog's name. And no it's not the place where I work? I know it sounds stupid, but let me explain. It's latin. That's right, LATIN. Veritas means "truth". Una Veritas means "one truth". Yeah, it's sounds like something Cliff Claven would say. "Cochise!" Still all those days I spent sleeping through the dead language course paid off, and something stuck invariably during one of those deep rem sleeps.

So why Latin? Why not Spanish or Italian? Or the language of love? Because I don't know those languages and last time I checked my Yiddish was pretty shabby too. Plus, putting it in English would call for some type of really long winded philosophical explanation of St. Augustine's search for the truth. When all I've really can explain is those latin brain cells are the only ones working after 7 years of undergraduate work in general studies. Yeah, I stuck with Latin. It's a dead language which no one speaks except high school latin teachers and some well unknown scholars at prestigous universities. That leaves me a pretty good chance that no one will ever care to know what it means.

After this is all said and done. It all amounts to a febble attempt by myself to feel that I am somewhat educated. Ha! Maybe it's enough to impress those few people who really can't find time to translate the words. Or it's just me claiming to know something of which I really don't know anything. Still, I feel that we all search for the truth in our lives. Even the guy who talks incessantly to himself by the bus stop and smells of thunderbird. Or, the person who screams real loud at the television when a stupid commercial comes on but doesn't change the channel and then tells you "watch this". Or, the person who has the most random stuff in the grocery checkout line. (Yesterday, this guy had a box of white zinfindel, one single roll of toilet paper, a steel scrubby, two cans of pickled pears, a bag of charcoal, and some radishes)

I hope this explains a little about what I search for in my life. One last thing for you sports nuts, Doug Mientkiewicz is the man for keeping that baseball. Way to go, Dougie! No way in heck should he give the ball back for free. It's like Matt Damon should have done in the movie, Rounders, when he was playing KGB the first time around. You should always walk away with a winning hand instead of a losing one.

1 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just see Mienkatvitz getting a noogie in some Boston bar and having a bunch of Biffs yell at him,

"Gimme the ball, Dougie. Tell me where the ball's at, Dougie."

If I was Doug, I'd tour the baseball around Boston like it was the "Shroud of Turin" and charge admission or maybe he could donate the money to the tsunami relief fund.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home